50 per cent central schemes, institutes named after Nehru-Gandhi family
- Priyanka Gandhi denies report on fighting polls against Modi, says her focus remains Rae Bareli and Amethi
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh's book embarrasses PM; 'Singh had little political authority'
- Two yrs after townâs first-ever riots, Kosi Kalan shadow hangs large over Mathura
- Modi in TN, Jaya first time targets BJP
- Election Live: Vajpayee weekest PM, tweets Sanjay Jha; Congress insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws, says Modi
Almost half of the nearly 60 institutions and schemes run by the Centre are named after the Nehru-Gandhi family, while Mahatma Gandhi's name figures in just four of these.
According to information released by the Ministry of Planning in response to an RTI query by Hisar-based RTI activist Ramesh Verma, 27 out of 58 institutions and schemes run by the Centre are named after former Prime Ministers Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi.
As many as 16 of these were named after Rajiv while eight have been named after Indira and three after Nehru.
Other personalities whose names have been used include Kasturba Gandhi (1), B R Ambedkar (4), Maulana Abul Kalam (3) Lal Bahadur Shastri (2), Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (1), Atal Bihari Vajpayee (1), Rabindranath Tagore (1), Zakir Hussain (1) and Babu Jagjivan Ram (1).
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign
- JERC approves sale of solar power at Rs 1.13 per unit