500 flats vacant with DDA, will come up in next scheme
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
As many in Delhi struggle to find affordable housing, the Delhi Development Authority has at least 500 flats lying vacant that have been surrendered or cancelled under various housing schemes.
Among the 500 are several higher income group (HIG) flats, from the 2010 DDA scheme, which are vacant in prime locations such as Vasant Kunj and Dwarka. These flats will be allotted under DDA's next housing scheme, which is yet to be announced.
The list prepared by the land agency shows six HIG flats vacant in Vasant Kunj, 19 in Dwarka, 12 in Jasola, seven in Rohini and three in Mukherjee Nagar. DDA's housing complex in Vasant Kunj has 10 more vacant flats, including four lower income group (LIG) flats.
"Majority of the flats that have been surrendered or cancelled. They include LIG or Janata flats in areas like Narela, Jasola, Rohini, etc. There are also middle-income flats in Jahangirpur. In such cases, the allottees must not have come forward to make payment leading to cancelling of their allotment or they might have surrendered the allotment on their own. These flats are part of the recent 2010 scheme and include flats of earlier housing schemes,'' a DDA official said.
Other than non-payment, officials said the allotment might have been cancelled due to incomplete formalities. "These 500 flats will be included for allotment in the next housing scheme, whenever it is floated,'' DDA spokesperson Neemo Dhar said.
While many of the flats of the 2010 housing scheme are already in a bad condition, the flats of other earlier schemes have doors and windows missing, sources said.
The 2010 scheme was the last announced by the land agency and there has been no new scheme since. According to officials, some of their housing complexes are expected to be completed by March 2013 and a new housing scheme will be announced after that.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express