52% chance Princess Kate's baby will be a redhead: scientists
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
Although only around 5 per cent of the UK population ¿ 3,132,000 people ¿ have red hair, BritainsDNA said its research suggested there are 24 million carriers of the redhead gene in the country.
By contrast, only about 1-2 per cent of the world's population has red hair.
Moffat, whose company is based in Melrose, Roxburghshire, believes the UK's gloomy northern climate has seen a deliberate genetic adaptation, including fairer skin, to help exploit rare sunny days and boost vitamin D production.