52% chance Princess Kate's baby will be a redhead: scientists
- PM silent on One Rank One Pension, upset defence veterans plan nation-wide agitation
- Relentless heatwave continues, death toll rises to nearly 700
- 'Manmohan Singh warned me of harm if I did not cooperate on 2G issue'
- BJP MLA marshalled out of Delhi Assembly for criticising Speaker
- Bypolls to 6 seats in 5 states on June 27, Jaya to contest on one
Although only around 5 per cent of the UK population ¿ 3,132,000 people ¿ have red hair, BritainsDNA said its research suggested there are 24 million carriers of the redhead gene in the country.
By contrast, only about 1-2 per cent of the world's population has red hair.
Moffat, whose company is based in Melrose, Roxburghshire, believes the UK's gloomy northern climate has seen a deliberate genetic adaptation, including fairer skin, to help exploit rare sunny days and boost vitamin D production.