52,000 fake beneficiaries of BPL ration cards in UP, govt cracks whip
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
Cancels all fake cards, wants a new list prepared
As many as 52,000 fake beneficiaries of BPL and Anotdaya ration cards are eating into the foodgrain meant for the thousands of poor families of Uttar Pradesh. The anomaly came to light in a survey conducted by the State Department of Food and Civil Supplies.
The government has cancelled all such cards and has decided to conduct a fresh survey to enlist the genuine beneficiaries and provide them with the cards.
The Food and Civil Supplies Principal Secretary, Jacob Thomas, said: "The BPL and Antodaya ration cards provide the beneficiaries with foodgrain at lower rates. While the BPL card ensures foodgrain at subsidised rates, the Antodaya card is meant for the poorest of the poor families, who get free foodgrain."
The department received reports that people not belonging to the BPL or Antodaya families were enjoying the card benefits. "We asked the districts to get a verification done, with a specific target of checking the BPL and the Antodaya list. And the results were shocking," said Thomas.
He added that the survey report shows that in the first check, 51,736 cards were found to be with ineligible beneficiaries. The state government has cancelled these cards with immediate effect.
"We have cancelled these cards and have also instructed the district administrations to update their list. We have asked them to prepare a list of people who should be the real beneficiaries and issue them the cards at the earliest," said Thomas.
The state government will also get the Above Poverty Line cards checked, while the Antodaya cards will also be verified on an annual basis.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2