52,000 people affected by earthquake in China, 126 aftershocks recorded
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
Over 52,000 people have been affected by the 5.1-magnitude earthquake which hit the border of southwest China's Yunnan and Sichuan provinces, local authorities said on Thursday.
Some 126 aftershocks have been recorded, the largest measuring 4.4 on the Richter scale, according to a statement from the disaster relief headquarters of Diqing Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture.
The quake hit the border area of Rongxian County in Sichuan and Deqen and Shangri-la counties in Yunnan at 4:44 am on Wednesday, the China Earthquake Networks Centre said.
No casualties have been reported, although the quake has destroyed dozens of houses, cut off road traffic and telecommunication in two counties, affecting 52,617 residents of Yunnan, 5,000 of whom have been relocated, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
More than 600 tents, 1,200 quilts and 18 tonnes of grain had been sent to the disaster areas, the report said.