58% polling in Nanded
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Narendra Modi slams Jayanti Natarajan; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Elections 2014 Phase 5: The five big battles
The Nanded Municipal Corporation (NMC) election saw 58 per cent voting for 80 seats, on Sunday. There were 510 candidates in the fray. The 81-member NMC polls are being seen as crucial to the political future of former CM Ashok Chavan, Nanded being his home constituency. Chavan had been looking at consolidating his position in Nanded and the larger Marathwada region to fill the leadership vacuum created in Congress following Vilasrao Deshkmukh's demise. Ashok Chavan said: "We have fought against Sena and MNS in the past and got absolute majority. This time also we will get a good majority."
Candidates of the Congress and the NCP— the two parties failed to forge a pre-poll alliance — the Sena-BJP-RPI, MNS and smaller parties are also in the fray. The Sena-BJP-RPI alliance has candidates in 72 seats.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18