6 charred to death in TN village
- LIVE: Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan expelled from AAP National Executive committee
- President Pranab Mukherjee goes to Vajpayee's home with Bharat Ratna
- Land bill will ‘break nation’s backbone’, Sonia tells Gadkari
- After 2010 scare, DGCA got cockpit policy to avert Germanwings-type incident
- Leave IITs alone, can’t talk to 36 applicants in a day and choose (directors): Kakodkar
Six members of a family, including a woman and her four children, were charred to death inside their house in a village in Ramanathapuram district on Monday, an incident which the local police suspect could be murder.
Karuppaiah, 50, his daughter Kalimuthu, 30, her children Kaleeshwari, 13, Balamurugan, 8, Saranya, 6 and Sakthi, 1, were found charred inside their house at Thoppuvalasai village in the coastal district. Kalimuthu's husband Kallalagar is said to be working abroad.
Villagers said it appears the house was locked from outside and the thatched roof set on fire. They alleged that there were suspicions that this was a handiwork of land sharks who have been harassing the family for the land they owned. They said that the family faced threats from brokers. Police have registered a case.