6 killed in cracker unit blast
- Cauvery row: Can't release water till December, Karnataka tells SC
- India beat New Zealand by 197 runs in Kanpur Test, take 1-0 series lead
- ISRO successfully places SCATSAT-1, seven other satellites in orbit
- Shahabuddin bail case: Supreme Court adjourns hearing for Wednesday
- SC refuses urgent hearing on PIL seeking to declare Indus Waters Treaty unconstitutional
Six persons, including two minors, were killed and three others were critically injured in an explosion in a firecracker manufacturing unit in Kaanth area of Shahjahanpur district today.
Shahjahanpur Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Shiv Narain Bhardwaj said that according to eyewitnesses, crackers caught fire as unit owner Intezar Ali (57) was smoking while packing the crackers.
Since there was a huge stock of crackers and explosive materials at the manufacturing unit, the fire led to a powerful explosion, blowing up the walls and ceiling of the unit. A footwear and a tailoring shop were also blown up in the explosion.
The ASP said that Ali, tailor Ibne Ali (55), his employee Zahur Ahmed (32), a customer Geeta Devi (35) and her daughters Aruna (10) and Anjali (8) were killed in the incident.
- Any response to Uri must factor in Pakistani state’s relationship with non-state actors
- It is assumed that Blacks will vote 93 per cent for Clinton, seven per cent for Trump
- As Russia draws closer to Pakistan and China, India must stop taking it for granted
- A year after, the new constitution is owned only by the political elite
- India urgently wants sporting greatness — but its desire is fraught with dangers
- Loud jingoism and war talk erode India’s credibility