6 showpieces: Deadlines fixed, deadlines missed
More than a month after the Prime Minister's Office identified 17 projects as marquee to be pushed on a priority basis, the first six have missed their deadlines.
A tight six-month schedule had been set for successive targets in these key infrastructure projects in aviation, power and highways for construction work to begin, in consultation with the ministries concerned. A status check shows not one of the 17 has got going. Each project is worth close to a billion dollar each.
The news belies the optimism displayed by PM Manmohan Singh in his intervention in Parliament on Friday on a turnaround in the economy.
As the chart shows, the Airports Authority of India and Civil Aviation Ministry are unlikely to meet the target of awarding Kolkata and Chennai airports to private bidders by May next year. "We will not be able to meet the target set by the PMO. We are now in the process of preparing the RFQ (request for qualification), which would require us to hire consultants," sources said.
Since getting a workable RFQ is likely to take about a month, it will have a cascading impact on the subsequent deadlines. Hence, the schedule for award of the airport projects too is likely to be missed.
The Navi Mumbai airport project in Mumbai is also unlikely to be awarded by January next, as it has already missed its deadline for issue of RFQ. "Land acquisition is still continuing and we have some meetings lined up next week. The RFQ will be issued the moment we acquire land for the project," said a top official of CIDCO (City and Industrial Development Corporation of Maharashtra Ltd).
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past
- Autorickshaws in Bangalore to get GPS makeover