6 teachers get life in Patan gang rape case
- LIVE: 52 AAP MLAs detained by Delhi Police ahead of their 'surrender' before PM Modi, BJP calls it 'drama'
- Now, people of London sign petition to stay in the European Union
- Personal doctor says Rao's reaction to Babri demolition was honest agitation
- Pampore: Eight CRPF men killed in Valley attack, LeT claims credit
- Under ED heat, Robert Vadra’s firm sheds pvt ltd tag
The Patan Fast Track Court of Justice S C Srivasatava convicted all the six accused teachers, awarded them life imprisonment, and slapped fine on each of them for the gang rape and abuse of a Dalit girl student in Patan's Primary Teacher Training College. The victim and her family were not present in the court and were at their home in Jetalvasna, 30 km away.
"I am happy that they have been punished, but any punishment will always be inadequate," the victim later said.
The court also ordered all the accused to pay Rs 10,000 each to the victim.
The six teachers are Ashwin Parmar, Manish Parmar, Mahendra Prajapati, Kiran Patel, Suresh Patel, Atul Patel. Ashwin, Manish, Mahendra and Suresh have been convicted under the charges of gang rape, criminal conspiracy and allied charges. Kiran, who is physically handicapped, has been convicted for unnatural sex, criminal conspiracy and gang rape. Atul has been convicted for rape.
- Donald Trump could lead the US back to a past it had moved on from
- EU must confront its failures, far right movements in Europe will become stronger
- Circumstantial and documentary evidence appear overlooked in the Gulberg Society verdict
- Language requires update to reflect growing female presence in 'male' spheres
- Eleanor Zelliot introduced Ambedkar and the Dalit movement to the West
- Across the aisle- Economic reforms: Act I, Scene I