6 teachers get life in Patan gang rape case
- India withdraws visa issued to Uyghur leader Dolkun Isa after Chinese protests
- Pakistan FS to visit India for Heart of Asia meeting; scope for bilateral talks
- Parliament LIVE: Uttarakhand crisis due to Cong's internal problem, says Rajnath in LS
- Chief Justice makes impassioned plea to Modi govt: Need you to act, don’t just criticise
- LIVE: 22.63 pc polling till 9 am in fourth phase of WB elections
The Patan Fast Track Court of Justice S C Srivasatava convicted all the six accused teachers, awarded them life imprisonment, and slapped fine on each of them for the gang rape and abuse of a Dalit girl student in Patan's Primary Teacher Training College. The victim and her family were not present in the court and were at their home in Jetalvasna, 30 km away.
"I am happy that they have been punished, but any punishment will always be inadequate," the victim later said.
The court also ordered all the accused to pay Rs 10,000 each to the victim.
The six teachers are Ashwin Parmar, Manish Parmar, Mahendra Prajapati, Kiran Patel, Suresh Patel, Atul Patel. Ashwin, Manish, Mahendra and Suresh have been convicted under the charges of gang rape, criminal conspiracy and allied charges. Kiran, who is physically handicapped, has been convicted for unnatural sex, criminal conspiracy and gang rape. Atul has been convicted for rape.
- Stories of greed and inability to see the big picture in election-time Bengal
- A neat separation of poverty estimates and entitlements won’t pass muster
- NDA has kept its promise to make local self-government more meaningful
- Delhi must not let commonsense with Beijing turn into a policy of self-denial with US
- Putin’s intervention has brought Russia back in a prominent role in Syria
- Relieve the president of the thankless task of putting his signature to the proclamation