6-yr-old raped, Class 12 student held
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Suspect was caught on CCTV; more crimes against women reported on New Year's day
An HSC student was on Tuesday arrested for raping a six-year-old girl near Pratiksha Housing Society, Mhada Colony, in Hadapsar in the morning. In swift action, police arrested the suspect within 24 hours of the incident.
Police said the suspect, a student of Class 12 at a local college, lives in Mhada colony area near the victim's residence.
Police had got footage of a youth from a CCTV camera installed at a building near the scene of crime and an investigation was initiated based on description of the youth seen on the footage.
Police said the girl had come to her close relative's house in Samartha Nagar near Mhada Colony four days back. She, along with another girl, the four-year-old daughter of her aunt, had gone out around 7 am and had hardly walked a few hundred metres when the suspect dragged the victim away from the road into the bushes and allegedly raped her.
The girl's aunt lodged the complaint with Hadapsar police.
Police said the four-year-old girl accompanying the victim started crying. By the time some local residents rushed to see what had happened, the suspect had allegedly fled. On getting the information, senior police officers including deputy commissioner (zone IV) Manoj Patil, deputy commissioner (crime) Rajesh Bansode, assistant commissioner V T Pawar, and senior inspector Raghunath Jadhav visited the crime scene.
Shiv Sena, BJP and RPI activists led by MLA Mahadev Babar staged a rasta roko at Gandhi chowk in Hadapsar to condemn the rape.
Meanwhile, several other incidents were reported from other areas of the city. Dattawadi police arrested 21-year-old Appar Dadya Nivangune for allegedly molesting two college girls near Waghjai temple in Janta Vasahat, around 3.30 pm Monday.
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP