7 Indian restaurants named among Asia's top 50
- Three students, allegedly planning to join ISIS, detained at Nagpur airport
- 'Biggest surprise of all': US media praises PM Modi's stop-over in Pakistan
- Key idea of PM's stopover: Demystify India-Pak visits, delink from outcome
- AAP government suspends three transport officials for alleged corruption
- Sadhana: The actor with the timeless elegance, the fringe and that outfit
Seven of India's restaurants have been included in the top 50 best restaurants list from Asia for the year 2013.
Tokyo restaurant Narisawa, which combines French cuisine with earthy Japanese tones, was named Asia's best restaurant at the inaugural S.Pelligrino Asia's 50 Best Restaurants awards, held in Singapore on Monday, CNN Travel reported.
Known for his wild imagination, chef Noshihiro Narisawa's restaurant has grown a massive following by serving dishes made with seasonal ingredients.
An offshoot of the famed World's 50 Best Restaurants awards, Asia's 50 Best Restaurants were voted on by a group of more than 900 international members of The Diners Club World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy.
The panel is made up of food critics, chefs, restaurateurs and culinary experts.
The top gong wasn't unexpected -- Yoshihiro Narisawa's Tokyo-based restaurant has consistently rated among Asia's highest on the S.Pelligrino global list. Narisawa was ranked 27th on the World's Best Restaurants 2012 list.
This year saw a version of the awards focus solely on Asia.
Another Tokyo restaurant, Nihonryori Ryugin, placed second. In third is Bangkok's Nahm restaurant -- one of two Thai eateries in the top 10.
Amber restaurant, in Landmark Mandarin Oriental hotel in fourth place was deemed Hong Kong's best restaurant, while Singapore's Restaurant Andre rounded out the first five places.
S.Pelligrino Asia's 50 Best Restaurants for 2013 are:
1. Narisawa (Tokyo)
2. Nihonryori Ryugin (Tokyo)
3. Nahm (Bangkok)
4. Amber (Hong Kong)
5. Restaurant Andre (Singapore)
6. 8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong)
7. Mr & Mrs Bund (Shanghai)
8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet (Shanghai)
9. Iggy's (Singapore)
10. Gaggan (Bangkok)
11. Waku Ghin (Singapore)
12. Caprice (Hong Kong)
13. Lung King Heen (Hong Kong)
14. Les Amis (Singapore)
15. Bo Innovation (Hong Kong)
16. Quintessence (Tokyo)
17. Dum Pukht (New Delhi)
18. The Chairman (Hong Kong)