70,000 devotees take holy dip in Parshuram Kund
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
About 70,000 devotees, including hundreds of sadhus from across the country took holy dip in Parshuram Kund in Lohit District of Arunachal Pradesh till yesterday on the occasion of Makar Sankranti, official sources said today.
The sources from Tezu, the district headquarters, informed that most of the pilgrims were from Nepal, Manipur, and various parts of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
Lohit deputy commissioner R K Sharma informed that about 75000 pilgrims thronged the kund and took a holy dip last year. This year, the number of visitors was little less than that of last year probably due to Kumbh Mela at Allahabad.
However, the number of pilgrims visiting the holy kund is expected to be one lakh till the end of this month. Free food was provided to the pilgrims at the mela siteby the Parshuram Sewa Samity and Manav Utthan Seva Samity of Tinsukia in neighbouring Assam besides some other NGOs.
Free medical camp was also organized by ITBP, district medical authorities and Arunachal Pali Vidyapith. Round the clock volunteers to help the old and aged pilgrims and to control the crowd were provided by Vivekananda Kendra and Arun Jyoti, Wakro.The District police authorities made elaborate security arrangements and deployed adequate Police and Para Military Forces.
Army also beefed up the security in the area, the DC
informed.Parasuram Kund, nestled in the lower reaches of Lohit
River in Lohit district of has been regarded as holy place for Hindu devotees.Every year in the month of January, the devotees from abroad and country thronged the Kund to take a holy dip in theriver, and has its own importance.The legendary beheading of his mother by Parashuram and eventual penance followed by taking a bath in the so called Brahma Kund, has added religious significance to this
naturally beautiful Kund. The legendary story of Parashuram Kund also finds its mention in many puranic texts in different ways
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties