7-yr-old falls off train in Kerala, dies
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police on Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Bismillah Khan's family says no to propose Narendra Modi's candidature in Varanasi
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh stands by his Pak remark; BJP dissociates itself from him
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
A Class III student of Convent of Jesus and Mary, Central Delhi, died after she fell through the emergency exit of a moving train in Palakkad, Kerala, on Wednesday.
Seven-year-old Jiya Anna George lost her life while travelling with her father George Joseph, an automobile engineer, and elder brother Jis Mathew George, to celebrate Christmas in their hometown, Kottayam.
Her mother, Shiny, formerly a nurse at RML Hospital was waiting for the family in Kottayam. She was in Kerala for higher studies.
According to police, the family was travelling in a sleeper coach of Kerala Express (New Delhi-Thiruvananthapuram). While Jiya and Jis were playing near the window seat, the girl fell through the emergency exit window, which had its safety grills pulled up. Her father raised an alarm and the train stopped 2 km from the spot where Jiya fell.
When he reached the spot, Joseph took his seriously injured daughter to a private hospital around 20 km from the spot. The girl died before reaching the hospital. Other passengers took Jis, a Class VII student of St Columba's School, to Kottyam in the same train. Jiya's funeral was held in Kottayam on Thursday.
Jiya lived near RML Hospital in the Capital with her father and brother. The principal of CJM, Sister Janet, said Jiya was an active, bright, alert and happy child.
The school conveyed its condolences in a statement.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota