8 killed in fire at TN cracker godown
- Vasundhara Raje admits signing UK papers for Lalit Modi
- Beheading, explosion at factory in France; suspects captured
- US Supreme Court legalises same-sex marriage nationwide
- Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena dissolves parliament eight months before elections
- 5 children dead, 11 injured after tree falls on school bus in Kerala
Eight persons were killed and five others were injured in a fire mishap at a fireworks unit godown near here on Tuesday, the police said.
Five persons, including the owner of the unit, died on the spot while three others succumbed to burns at a hospital, District Superintendent of Police Aswin Kotnis said. The injured were undergoing treatment at different hospitals, he said. The deceased included five women and a 12-year-old girl.
The victims were involved in making fireworks when the mishap occurred at the unit at Parakallur, 42 km from here. The cause of the fire was under investigation, the police said. The intensity of the explosion was so powerful that the entire godown was razed to the ground. The unit used to make fireworks largely for use in temple festivals in the region.
On September 5, 39 people were killed in a devastating blaze at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi, the national hub for crackers.