8 LU students suspended for thrashing reporters
- Aam Aadmi Party expels Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan and 2 others for 'anti-party' activities
- Rahul says Modi ignoring farmers, govt replies you looted them for 10 years
- Govt to give befitting reply to Hafiz Saeed's threat: Rijiju
- Would not be bad if we fulfill 50 percent promises: Arvind Kejriwal
- 'China wants to promote Indo-Pak peace talks amid Xi's visit'
The Lucknow University authorities placed under suspension eight students, allegedly for beating up two reporters on the campus.
An FIR was also lodged under Sections 395 (dacoity) and 397 (robbery, or dacoity, with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) against 20 persons at Hassanganj police station on the complaint of reporters Govind and Ankush.
"Eight students named in the FIR have been suspended with immediate effect. An inquiry will be conducted and all those found guilty will be rusticated," vice-chancellor Manoj Kumar Mishra said in a statement. The eight students who have been suspended are Ved Prakash Yadav, Mani Singh, Babloo Yadav, Abhai Singh, Prashant Singh, Hari Om, Narendra Tiwari, and Vinod Belwar.
Denouncing the act, Lucknow University Teachers' Association president Vinod Singh said the act was even more shameful as the press had been raising campus-related issues. Teachers link the incident with recent media reports about certain student leaders flouting Lyngdoh Committee's recommendations for the student union elections, which are likely to be held in October.