846 candidates in fray for first phase
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Ahmedabad: The 87 assembly seats, spread across Saurashtra, south Gujarat and four tehsils of western Ahmedabad going to polls on December 13, have a total of 846 candidates in the fray. Additional chief electoral officer Ashok Manek told PTI that 846 candidates were in the fray for the first phase after withdrawal of nomination forms. Limbayat constituency in Surat district has the highest number of candidates at 20.
Deputy mamlatdar jumps to death in Gandhinagar
AHMEDABAD: A deputy mamlatdar allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the building of the collector office in Gandhinagar on Thursday. The deceased was identified as Pravin Mafatlal Gurjar (53). While the police said the reason behind his suicide was not yet clear, sources close to his family told police that a dispute over some property was going on in his family. Gurjar was recently promoted to the post of deputy mamlatdar and posted in the Chitnis Department of the collector office. Police have registered a case of accidental death and started investigations.