87 companies under scanner for multi-level marketing schemes
- Union Minister VK Singh's wife files complaint against man alleging extortion, blackmail
- Villagers in dark about why PM Narendra Modi said they have power
- Kashmir: Two soldiers, one policeman killed as militants attack army convoy in Baramulla
- Supreme Court directs Unitech to refund Rs 15 cr to investors
- PV Sindhu stuns world No.2 Wang Yihan of China; win away from medal
A total of 87 companies have come under the government scanner for allegedly running illegal multi-level marketing (MLM) investment schemes and seven of them are being probed for possibly serious frauds.
The government has ordered inspection of accounts of remaining 80 companies for any violation of company regulations, Corporate Affairs Minister Scahin Pilot informed Lok Sabha in a written reply.
Most of these companies are located in West Bengal and Tamil Nadu and one company registered outside the country doing business online in association with some Indian companies, he said.
Pilot further said that Ministry has ordered Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) to probe into the affairs of seven companies.
Besides, SFIO has also been ordered scrutiny of balance- sheets of the remaining 80 companies to ascertain whether the firms have violated the provisions of the Companies Act.
Raising of funds through money circulation scheme is an offence under the Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning) Act 1978.
The Act is administered by the Department of Financial Services through the state governments.
Recently, Finance Ministry in consultant with RBI have circulated model rules to be notified by the states.
- Linking PoK with Balochistan could undermine India’s high moral ground vis a vis Pakistan
- Kashmiriyat is important, but is it larger than Hindustaniyat, or Bharatiyata?
- India needs a coalition
- Ahmadis and an unsung hero
- PM raises stakes with Pak. But Srinagar, not Balochistan, must be at heart of Kashmir strategy
- India has exited, but it played the right kind of hockey at the Olympics