8-year jail for man who raped minor daughter
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
A 50-year-old man was sentenced to eight years in jail for repeatedly raping his daughter since she was 13.
The daughter, now 22, had filed a case against her parents saying his father raped her since a young age and her mother helped him by making her drink a "substance" that would make her unconscious.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Yashwant Kumar refused to show leniency to the father, saying it would be against "societal interest." The mother, accused of abetting the crime, was acquitted for want of evidence.
During the proceedings, doctors told the court that the girl was subjected to extreme sexual activity.
"Any liberal attitude of imposing a meagre sentence or taking too sympathetic a view, particularly in cases where a father has committed rape upon his daughter, will be counter-productive in the long run and against the societal interest, which needs to be cared for and strengthened by the required string of deterrence inbuilt in sentencing system," the court said.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 5000 on the father. The girl had approached the police in 2008.
The father sought leniency from the court saying, he has to take care of his three children and was in a private job. The court rejected his plea.