8-year-old killed in slab collapse
- India's naval might on full display off Visakhapatnam coast
- Kerala solar scam: Had freedom to enter Chandy’s house anytime, says Saritha Nair
- Australian national suspected to be IS supporter deported from Delhi airport
- At least 39 dead as Gujarat state transport bus plunges into river
- Cops have a case for new juvenile law: boy who ‘killed 2’
An eight-year-old boy was killed when a slab of a parapet collapsed on the third-floor common balcony of a building in Kidwai Nagar, Wadala west, Wednesday morning. The building is under renovation and all sides, except the road-facing end where the accident took place, are covered in scaffolding.
The victim, Masoom Arif Khatri, a student of class 3, was leaving his tutor Leena Fernandes' home around 10.30 am when the incident took place. "The contractor was carrying out some drilling work. Suddenly, we heard a crash and rushed outside. There was debris all around. I saw a school bag and started screaming for help," said Fernandes. Neighbours rushed to the spot, lifted the slab and took the child to KEM Hospital but it was too late, she added.
"Masoon lived in a building next to the one where the incident occurred. We have charged BMC contractor R K Madhani under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code," said Balkrishna D Garule, senior inspector, RAK Marg police station.
Despite repeated attempts, F-North ward officer Sanjay Khurade could not be reached for comment.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2