8-year-old raped, killed in Barabanki
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
An eight-year-old girl was allegedly raped before being murdered in Barabanki's Deva police circle on Monday night. The body of the girl was found in an open field at Sadsauli village early on Tuesday morning.
An FIR against unidentified persons on charges of rape and murder was lodged at the Deva police station by the girl's father, who works at a brickiln in Sadauli village.
"The autopsy of the girl has confirmed rape. She was smothered to death," said Inspector M M Khan.
He said the body was found around 500 metres away from the brickiln where her parents stayed. She was the only child of her parents, who are natives of Sitapur.
According to Khan, the girl on Monday evening had gone to a fair organised around a kilometre away from the brickiln. When she did not return home, her parents searched for her, but did not inform the police.
Early next morning, the locals spotted the girl's body in a field.