8-year-old student dies of hostel food poisoning

A STUDENT of class III died while two others were taken seriously ill after allegedly consuming poisonous food at a school hostel in Burdwan district.

District Magistrate Onkar Singh Meena confirmed that eight-year-old Archana Hembram died at Durgapur hospital on Sunday while the condition of two others among the 41 students admitted after consuming poisonous food on Saturday was serious.

Stating that the students were suffering from acute dehydration, Meena said they were first admitted to Kaksa primary health centre, but were subsequently discharged.

They were then admitted to Durgapur hospital.

The district administration has sent a medical team and ordered a magisterial probe under Additional District Magistrate Utpal Biswas to probe into any act of negligence on the part of the school authorities as they had not informed the district authorities about the incident, he said.

The principal of the school Sushmita Pathak claimed that of the 260 hostel students of the residential school, 42 had taken ill and were admitted to Kaksa health centre but were subsequently discharged.

Three students were later admitted to hospital as they complained of uneasiness.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.