91-year-old German charged with Nazi crimes
- Top BJP ministers attend RSS meet, Opposition questions govt's accountability
- Bharat bandh: Violence, arrest, chaos; one-day strike a 'grand success'
- Indrani, Peter brought face to face, questioned extensively; Sanjeev Khanna's laptop seized
- OROP: Veterans soften stand, may accept pension revision once in two years
- Govt to auction 69 oil & gas fields of ONGC, Oil India to private firms
He fought on the eastern front in Russia until 1943 when he became ill and no longer fit for combat duty, Brendel said.
Transferred back to the Netherlands, he served first in the Sicherheitsdienst -- the Nazi internal intelligence agency, and then the Sicherheitspolizei, or Security Police, with a unit looking for resistance fighters and Jews.