9th certificate course in basic ornithology from next week
- Elections LIVE: Jaswant Singh pained but not quitting BJP, to file nomination from Barmer
- Search for MH370 LIVE: Australia hopes for a breakthrough in search operations
- Thane shocker: 24-year-old woman brutalised for refusing to enter flesh-trade
- A Fallen Stock: Markets were Jignesh Shah's passion but luck ran out for the engineer
- Four IM operatives nabbed from Rajasthan, had plans to attack Modi rally
Ela Foundation and MES Garware College will conduct the 9th "Certificate Course in Basic Ornithology," a no-profit course, from December 10. The duration of the course is three months, and the aim is to promote awareness on conservation of the environment by sensitising the students to the fundamentals of ornithology or bird science.
Anyone who has passed Class X is eligible.
This course is a step further to bird watching. Birds are essential and integral elements of our ecology and they attract man due to their beauty, flight and songs. Birds are indicators of our environmental health and and their study helps us understand the health of our ecology.The course consists of audio-visual lectures by noted ornithologists and ecologists with a faculty of more than 35 experts. It includes several field visits for studying birds in the natural habitats, Dr Satish Pande, Director of ELA foundation said.
Some of the major topics include — Avian Functional Anatomy, Physiology, How Birds Fly, The Puzzle of Bird Migration, Feeding, Populations and Breeding, Bird Habitats, Ethno-ornithology, Bird Behavior, Archaeo-Ornithology, Treating Sick Birds, Conservation, Birds as Pest Controllers, Field Study Techniques, Bird Calls and Communication, Flightless Birds, Bird Photography, etc.
Till date more than 750 participants have completed the course. The previous participants have been house wives, doctors, engineers, IT professionals, scientists, army officers, life science students, lawyers, teachers, farmers, bankers, businessmen, journalists, writers, architects, artists, mechanics and others.
- Mamata slams Cong, BJP for passing Telangana Bill
- Mollah calls for Muslim-Dalit ‘Maha Jot’ to defeat Left, TMC
- Didi releases party manifestos, reflects ‘national ambition’
- Rs 700-crore hawala racket busted, Surat trader’s home, office raided
- Just a click away, one stop data on over 10 lakh criminals
- The age of individualism