9th certificate course in basic ornithology from next week
- India's Nuclear Suppliers Group membership is not about arms: US tells Pakistan
- Now in Meghalaya, Congress braces for Uttarakhand, Arunachal replay
- Scary...need to know someone in govt to do business in India: US Governor Nikki Haley
- New policy proposal: Can fail kids after Class V, let foreign universities in
- PM Modi extends best wishes to Nawaz Sharif for his heart surgery
Ela Foundation and MES Garware College will conduct the 9th "Certificate Course in Basic Ornithology," a no-profit course, from December 10. The duration of the course is three months, and the aim is to promote awareness on conservation of the environment by sensitising the students to the fundamentals of ornithology or bird science.
Anyone who has passed Class X is eligible.
This course is a step further to bird watching. Birds are essential and integral elements of our ecology and they attract man due to their beauty, flight and songs. Birds are indicators of our environmental health and and their study helps us understand the health of our ecology.The course consists of audio-visual lectures by noted ornithologists and ecologists with a faculty of more than 35 experts. It includes several field visits for studying birds in the natural habitats, Dr Satish Pande, Director of ELA foundation said.
Some of the major topics include — Avian Functional Anatomy, Physiology, How Birds Fly, The Puzzle of Bird Migration, Feeding, Populations and Breeding, Bird Habitats, Ethno-ornithology, Bird Behavior, Archaeo-Ornithology, Treating Sick Birds, Conservation, Birds as Pest Controllers, Field Study Techniques, Bird Calls and Communication, Flightless Birds, Bird Photography, etc.