A K Ganguly 'undecided' on resignation from rights panel over intern's charge
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Mohan Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
As pressure mounted on him to quit as the chief of West Bengal Human Rights Commission over a sexual assault allegation, former Supreme Court judge Ashok Kumar Ganguly on Tuesday said he was "undecided" on his future course of action.
"I have not decided. I am undecided," Justice(retd) Ganguly said.
"Time has not come to think about it," he said when asked about his future course of action in the wake of demands for his resignation as the Chairman of WBHRC.
Ganguly, who has been accused by a young law intern of sexually harassing her, at the same time received support like from eminent lawyer Soli Sorabjee and former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir amid a raging debate whether or not he should step down. He has strongly denied the charge.
BJP leader Sushma Swaraj joined the chorus of demands for the resignation of Ganguly, saying "not only Caesar's wife but Caesar too must be above suspicion".
"I strongly feel that Justice A K Ganguly should resign as Chairperson of West Bengal Human Rights Commission", the Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha said in a Twitter post.
Defending Sushma's demand, BJP spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain said a lot of questions has been raised in the sexual assault allegation which was a challenge to the credibility of the judiciary.
West Bengal's ruling Trinamool Congress has already demanded that Ganguly quit office.
"This is the first time such an allegation has been made against a former Supreme Court judge who is at present holding the post of WBHRC chairman. He should resign immediately," said TMC MP Kalyan Bandopadhyay, who is also a senior lawyer.
Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising was also of the view that Ganguly should resign.
"In fact after his name was disclosed in public he should resign from the current position he is holding," she said.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress