A poor copy: Jeannie Aur Juju
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
Jeannie Aur Juju
Sab TV, Monday - Friday, 9.30 pm
Casts: Ali Asgar and Giaa Manek
The writer of several best-selling novels, Sidney Sheldon, back in the 1960s, penned a TV show that merged situational comedy with fantasy. His intention was to offer competition to the then-popular TV series Bewitched in the same genre that revolved around a witch trying to lead the life of a regular housewife. Sheldon's I Dream of Jeannie went on to become equally iconic in America. The show met with similar response when it aired in India close to three decades later, in the 90s on Sony.
The story of the show revolved around Captain Tony Nelson, an astronaut, who discovers a bottle at a deserted island where he is stranded following an accident. Upon opening it appears Jeannie, a djinn who has been trapped inside for 2,000 years. She falls in love with her saviour and accompanies him home without his knowledge after making sure that he is rescued. The five-season series then revolved around Jeannie's antics to please her Master and his efforts to keep her existence a secret.
Now, Sab TV, owned by Sony network, which owns the distribution rights for the show, has adapted it in Hindi as Jeannie Aur Juju.
The key characters remain the same as the original although their names are Indianised. Captain Tony Nelson is Captain Vikram Khanna, a pilot, portrayed by Ali Asgar. But Jeannie — played by Giaa Manek, dumb Gopi Bahu on Star Plus' Saath Nibhaana Saathiya — lovingly calls him, well, Juju. The other recurring characters include Vikram's boss and owner of Priya Airlines (Jiten Mukhi), his daughter Priya (Navina Bole) who is Vikram's possessive girlfriend, Vikram's best pal Captain Virendra Lakhanpal (Harsh Khurana) aka Vela, and Dr Cyrus Doctor (Kurush Deboo), a health specialist at Priya Airlines.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment
- Edit - Come clean