A troubleshooter team, helpline launched for Ahmedabad women
- Highest earners in 75% rural households earned below Rs 5K: SECC
- Ex-RAW chief's revelation: Congress seeks PM's apology for Gujarat riots
- Hema Malini's car accident: Victim's family upset with BJP MP
- Kandahar operation: BJP dismisses ex-RAW chief's claims of 'goof-up'
- Gujarat HC dismisses petition against PM Narendra Modi for filing defective affidavit
Amid growing concerns over the safety of women in different parts of the country, a troubleshooter team — Women Defence Committee (WDC) — for the womenfolk of the city has been formed. The committee started functioning on Friday.
Lok Rakshak Seva Samiti, an NGO, has formed the committee and launched helpline number 8140581405. According to the NGO, a team of two boys, two girls and one eunuch, all equipped with unarmed combat methods, will reach the trouble spot within 10 minutes of getting the call.
Three hundred volunteers have registered themselves. "They will reach the spot in no time as they will be moving in five Maruti vans all over the city," said Pruthvi Bhatt, president of Lok Rakshak Seva Samiti (Gujarat).
"We will inform the police about the incident of harassment of women. And if they fail to register a case, we will handle the case on our own. The offender will be thrashed publicly..." Bhatt added.