A year later, accused gets life for raping Spanish woman
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
A year after a 27-year-old Spanish woman was robbed and raped by a repeat offender at her Bandra residence,a sessions court convicted and sentenced him to life imprisonment. The accused, Anwar Mohammed Ansari alias Badshah, 28, was found guilty of rape, unnatural offences, criminal intimidation, robbery and destruction of evidence under relevant sections of the IPC.
Ansari had entered the third floor flat of the victim on November 4. "He sexually assaulted the woman for over 40 minutes," said Abhay Shastri, investigating officer. There are 34 cases of robbery against Ansari. Of the 12 prosecution witnesses, it was the victim's statement that went against the accused. The woman had identified Ansari through a video-conference. "From the chronology of the incident to identifying the accused, the victim did not falter even once," said special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam. The DNA samples collected from the spot and the victim's body matched that of Ansari's.
Ansari had raped the woman at knife-point and indulged in unnatural offences. The woman had managed to lock herself in the bathroom and raise an alarm. "She was so traumatised that she refused to open the door even when we (the police) reached her residence," said Shastri.
Sessions judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi gave Ansari the maximum punishment under all the sections. Ansari broke down after the verdict. His wife and two children were present in court.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi