A year later, accused gets life for raping Spanish woman
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
- 15th Lok Sabha: Most disrupted session in history
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- Arvind Kejriwal writes to Narendra Modi on gas pricing, targets Mukesh Ambani again
A year after a 27-year-old Spanish woman was robbed and raped by a repeat offender at her Bandra residence,a sessions court convicted and sentenced him to life imprisonment. The accused, Anwar Mohammed Ansari alias Badshah, 28, was found guilty of rape, unnatural offences, criminal intimidation, robbery and destruction of evidence under relevant sections of the IPC.
Ansari had entered the third floor flat of the victim on November 4. "He sexually assaulted the woman for over 40 minutes," said Abhay Shastri, investigating officer. There are 34 cases of robbery against Ansari. Of the 12 prosecution witnesses, it was the victim's statement that went against the accused. The woman had identified Ansari through a video-conference. "From the chronology of the incident to identifying the accused, the victim did not falter even once," said special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam. The DNA samples collected from the spot and the victim's body matched that of Ansari's.
Ansari had raped the woman at knife-point and indulged in unnatural offences. The woman had managed to lock herself in the bathroom and raise an alarm. "She was so traumatised that she refused to open the door even when we (the police) reached her residence," said Shastri.
Sessions judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi gave Ansari the maximum punishment under all the sections. Ansari broke down after the verdict. His wife and two children were present in court.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- The regressive state | The Indian Express