Aadhar-linked 'game-changer' cash transfer scheme to start Jan 1: Chidambaram
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Aadhaar, a 12-digit number, serves as a proof of identity and address anywhere in the country. The UIDAI has already issued 21 crore Aadhaar cards.
"To start with there will be Banking Correspondents with miniature ATMs ... they will act as the bank account operator with a handheld ATM to enable the beneficiary to withdraw the cash benefit.
"But in course of time other distributors can also join the system. Self Help Groups, primary Cooperative society, any other body which can operate a hand-held ATM can be a distributor. We expect multiple distributors to open as many distribution points as possible over a period of time," he added.
Chidambaram said he expects that in the 51 districts Aadhar penetration would be 80 per cent and the list of digitised beneficiaries for the schemes would be loaded on to the system.
"If the Aadhaar penetration is 80 per cent and more, then it is a fair assumption that the beneficiary penetration of Aadhaar will be close to 95 per cent. We hope to be able to do that by December 31 ... The infrastructure is in place," he said.