AAP clears next hurdle, M S Dhir is new Delhi Assembly Speaker
- Yoga Day celebration at Rajpath sets two Guinness World Records
- Yoga not religious; an antidote to violence, conflict: Swaraj at UN
- Death toll climbs to 97 in Mumbai hooch tragedy, 2 women arrested
- 'Peepli Live' co-director, Mahmood Farooqui arrested on rape charges
- Lalit Modi invoked British royal names for UK travel papers
AAP candidate M S Dhir was on Friday elected as the Speaker of Delhi Assemblywith the support of Congress.
Dhir was also backed by the lone JD (U) MLA and an Independent.
37 MLAs supported Dhir while BJP candidate Jagdish Mukhi got the support of 32 MLAs from his party. Immediately after his election to the post, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and BJP leader Harshvardhan greeted Dhir and wished him good luck. "I congratulate you from the core of my heart and hope that you will keep the prestige and the tradition of the assembly intact," said Vardhan.
The pro-tem speaker conducted a voice vote twice following objections by BJP MLAs.
The minority Aam Aadmi Party government yesterday had crossed the first hurdle in the Delhi Assembly when its confidence motion sailed through easily with the backing of the members of Congress, JD(U) and an independent.