AAP keeps word, Kejriwal government opens freebie floodgates: 667 litres daily
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Tharoor mocks at Modi's meeting with actors; 80 pc polling in Inner Manipur
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Karthik-led DD face RCB
Moving swiftly to keep its poll promise of providing free water to every household in Delhi, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government Monday announced 20 kilolitres of free water every month — it works out to 667 litres a day — to households with valid water connections and functional meters installed by the Delhi Jal Board (DJB).
As reported by The Indian Express earlier, this means only 50 per cent of Delhi's population — the half that can afford to pay — may benefit from the AAP's freebie.
The government also tempered the populist move by introducing a 10 per cent increase in tariff for those consuming more than 20 kilolitres who will be required to pay the full bill amount.
The decision was taken at the DJB's first meeting chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal at his residence — he was unwell and skipped office on Monday.
As per the 2011 Census, approximately 80 per cent households in Delhi receive piped water supply — of the 33.41 lakh households, 27.16 lakh get piped water. The remaining 20 per cent are dependent on water tankers for daily needs. In all, there are only 17 lakh domestic metered connections in Delhi, which effectively account for just 51 per cent of the population.
"It is duty of any responsible govt to provide 'lifeline water' to its citizens. We may debate the quantum but can we argue against the principle?"
Kejriwal tweeted in the evening. He said the financial implication on DJB will be Rs 40 crore for the rest of the current fiscal and Rs 160 crore annually.
People living in areas under the New Delhi Municipal Council and Delhi Cantonment Board are not likely to be included in the free-water scheme.
Days before his swearing-in last week, Kejriwal announced that his government would fulfil the AAP promise of providing 700 litres of free water daily to every household "wherever possible" within 24 hours of assuming office.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18