AAP sounds poll bugle in UP, to contest on 'real' issues
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- At least Modi-led govt wonât be remote-controlled, says Anna
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RCB vs MI: RCB recover after early strikes by MI
Riding on the wave of a good show in Delhi elections, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Saturday set the agenda for contesting the Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh. And, as opposed to "unreal" issues that divide the state on the basis of religion and caste, the party will contest on "real" issues such as water and electricity, said AAP national spokesperson Sanjay Singh.
"There is no Samajwadi Party government in UP, but a company (named) Mulayam Singh Yadav Private Limited. The Samajwadi movement started with Dr Ram Manohar Lohia, he didn't marry and didn't form a family. When asked who was his family, he used to reply that my party is my family. When people ask the same from Mulayam, he says my family is my party," Sanjay said. "Our priority will be to free UP from the clutches of caste and religion."
He also said the party will field a candidate against Sonia Gandhi "who stands a good chance, and the contest won't be merely ornamental".
"If the chief ministerial candidates in Delhi can fight face to face, why not prime ministerial candidates do the same?" he added.