AAP’s Dhir elected Speaker of House
- Election Live: BJP in damage control mode, Rudy to meet Uddhav to fine tune alliance with Sena
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The week-long suspense over who would be the Speaker of the Delhi Assembly ended on Friday with AAP MLA from Jangpura Maninder Singh Dhir being elected to the chair.
Dhir was elected with support of the MLAs of the Congress, the Janta Dal (United) and an Independent.
Thirty-seven MLAs voted for Dhir while BJP candidate Jagdish Mukhi got the support of 32 MLAs from his party and ally Akali Dal. During the election process, pro-tem Speaker Mateen Ahmed declared Dhir as Speaker. This irked BJP MLAs as he made the announcement even before BJP could officially propose Jagdish Mukhi's candidature for the post.
"There is a procedure for everything... You have to announce how many votes Dhir got and how many were against him," BJP MLA Ramesh Bidhuri said.
"Kya farak padata hai, 28 hai ya 32," replied Ahmed, adding fuel to the protests.
After the election, Kejriwal and the Leader of the Opposition Harsh Vardhan greeted Dhir.
Harsh Vardhan said, "We would expect you to treat everyone in the House with equality. This is the seat that was occupied by people like Vitthal Bhai Patel. And we would like you to not be a party speaker but Speaker of the Assembly. We wish that you would conduct yourself in a manner so that you will be remembered in history."
Earlier, Congress had asked its MLAs to support Dhir. Delhi Congress chief Lovely said, "We cannot give support to the BJP. So we voted for the AAP candidate."
After he assumed chair, Dhir came under fire from Congress and BJP MLAs. When MLAs protested against AAP members doing the rounds in their areas, Dhir replied, "I will discuss the issue with the Leader of the House (CM)," creating an uproar in the Assembly. Not understanding the reason for this, he said, "I just said I will discuss this with him. I never said I will seek advice."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express