Abhishek Kapoor: 'Kai Po Che was like making three Rock Ons'
- Amit Shah moves HC against FIRs on hate speeches
- Narendra Modi tukde-tukde kar dega: Rahul Gandhi
- EC notice to Azam for Kargil, other remarks
- Lok Sabha elections: Polling ends in Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Arunachal
- April 9 Campaign roundup: Gujarat model "balloon" will burst the same way as 'India Shining', says Rahul
Abhishek Kapoor Kai Po Che!, a film with relatively unknown names playing lead protagonists and a director who has made a niche success like Rock On, has managed to create some big news around itself during last couple of months. With the makers (UTV) are pitching the film well and Abhishek Kapoor is more than happy to host multiple pre-screenings days before its release, there is a promise of something special being offered for the audience. No wonder, the man at the hot seat is sounding confident while being pretty calm, cool and composed.
When the film was announced as Kai Po Che!, it was a matter of debate that whether the title would click or not. Still, you stuck to your guns.
Kai Po Che! is a victory call and metaphorically, it is apt for my story. Being a youth centric film, this shout is like a massive calling. It just feels right. Also, it is important to go by instinct than making everything cerebral. Otherwise you would always be in fears and apprehensions.
When you talk about this being a youth centric film, are we also looking at something which is socially relevant?
In the film, you would see ambitions and dreams of Indians as I see them. It is not just a friendship story; it is much bigger than that. The making has so many levels to it. I shot for the film much more than Rock On. The kind of energy and effort that went into the film was akin to making three Rock On. Just because of the scale of the film and the kind of story that Kai Po Che! has, it was a huge challenge to bring it all together in 130 minutes.
Talking about the making of the film, were you ever in touch with Farhan (Akhtar) and Ritesh (Sidhwani) or were you driving the film entirely on your own?
- Narendra Modi invokes Sayajirao Gaekwad as he files nomination
- Maybe I’ll still get to 10,000 Test runs, says Kevin Pietersen
- Jet flight ‘vanished’ for 30 mins over Germany
- Anna sells first-timers NOTA option
- Narendra Modi mentions wife in poll affidavit for the first time
- Naveen record hunt is a tough one