Abhishek Nayar hopes help from likes of Tendulkar in leading Mumbai
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Handed the captaincy role after injury to Ajit Agarkar, Mumbai skipper Abhishek Nayar today said that he would take help from senior players like Sachin Tendulkar in leading the Ranji champion side in the Irani Cup match against Rest of India which begins here tomorrow.
"It will be a challenge. I will be leading Mumbai for the first time at the senior level. It will be a big challenge but I have people to help me like Sachin (Tendulkar), Rohit (Sharma) and Ajinkya (Rahane). So I think with their help, the work will become easier. Hopefully we have a good game," he said on the eve of the match.
"I think I will obviously enjoy it. It does add a bit of pressure. With the help of my team mates, hopefully, we can have a good game."
The Mumbai bowling attack looks depleted in the absence of Agarkar and Zaheer Khan and Nayar said, "We obviously have a young attack. We have got four bowlers who are almost playing their first season.
"It is not going to be as easy as we think it is but I think, it is a chance for someone to step up and show what they are worth. It is always going to be an opportunity for everyone. Hopefully, we can deliver. Whatever we have been doing in the nets, hopefully we can implement that in the match and give our best," he said.
Asked about the possible team composition for tomorrow's match, He said, "Team is pretty much there. We haven't decided the 11 as of now, we will decide once we have a look at the pitch in the morning. We look good as a batting unit, bowling is a bit inexperienced."
Mumbai has been on the losing end on all the six Irani Cup matches they have played and Nayar said, "It is difficult to analyse all six times. I have been part of Irani Trophy losing team twice or thrice. Not very proud of it. We will try and do the right things. This time we have just come out of a Ranji Trophy victory. "Obviously Ajit not being there is a bit of a setback.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express