Abhishek Nayar hopes help from likes of Tendulkar in leading Mumbai
- Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- China blames Islamic militants for attack by knife-wielding 'terrorists'
- Govt confirms: US snooped on India emails
- Ordinances on Seemandhra, Rahul Bills are likely today
- UP shuts reserve forest as it hosts Sahara chief Subrata Roy
Handed the captaincy role after injury to Ajit Agarkar, Mumbai skipper Abhishek Nayar today said that he would take help from senior players like Sachin Tendulkar in leading the Ranji champion side in the Irani Cup match against Rest of India which begins here tomorrow.
"It will be a challenge. I will be leading Mumbai for the first time at the senior level. It will be a big challenge but I have people to help me like Sachin (Tendulkar), Rohit (Sharma) and Ajinkya (Rahane). So I think with their help, the work will become easier. Hopefully we have a good game," he said on the eve of the match.
"I think I will obviously enjoy it. It does add a bit of pressure. With the help of my team mates, hopefully, we can have a good game."
The Mumbai bowling attack looks depleted in the absence of Agarkar and Zaheer Khan and Nayar said, "We obviously have a young attack. We have got four bowlers who are almost playing their first season.
"It is not going to be as easy as we think it is but I think, it is a chance for someone to step up and show what they are worth. It is always going to be an opportunity for everyone. Hopefully, we can deliver. Whatever we have been doing in the nets, hopefully we can implement that in the match and give our best," he said.
Asked about the possible team composition for tomorrow's match, He said, "Team is pretty much there. We haven't decided the 11 as of now, we will decide once we have a look at the pitch in the morning. We look good as a batting unit, bowling is a bit inexperienced."
Mumbai has been on the losing end on all the six Irani Cup matches they have played and Nayar said, "It is difficult to analyse all six times. I have been part of Irani Trophy losing team twice or thrice. Not very proud of it. We will try and do the right things. This time we have just come out of a Ranji Trophy victory. "Obviously Ajit not being there is a bit of a setback.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha 2014 Candidates – Full list
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today