Absconding criminal found dead
- PM Narendra Modi returns to Red Fort with report card, calls for ‘Start-up India, Stand up India’
- Five civilians killed in J&K as Pak shelling intensifies in Poonch district
- Looking at Lanka: An election without noise and colour, and Sri Lankans are not complaining
- Noodle ban over, hope returns to Maggi’s small-town home
- First Indian in World Championships final, Saina Nehwal sets up ‘tricky’ Sunday
An absconding criminal on police records was found dead under mysterious circumstances on the terrace of a house in early hours of Friday. Police suspect that he died after falling down from the fifth floor of an adjacent building in Warje Malwadi.
Warje Malwadi police have identified the deceased as Tukaram Bhagat (30) of Shivne. Police said there were about seven cases, including two related to attempt to murder, registered against him.
Senior inspector with Warje Malwadi police station Sunil Darekar said, "Around 1 am on Friday, a resident called us that a person was lying in a pool of blood on his terrace. Two of our constables went to the spot immediately and took him to a hosopital where doctors declared him dead on arrival. We later identified him to be Bhagat."
Police suspect him to have accidentally fallen from the fifth floor and are also investigating for suspected foul play. Darekar said, "It seems he first hit the pillar and then fell on the terrace of the building."