Absconding Doon MLA’s bail plea rejected
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Defence council of Ram Kumar Chaudhary says he is a victim of political conspiracy
The additional district and sessions judge Panchkula, Sanjay Sandhir, on Wednesday dismissed the anticipatory bail application of Doon MLA and Himachal Congress General Secretary, Ram Kumar Chaudhary, wanted in murder of 24-year old Jyoti Rani, who was found dead last month in Panchkula.
The court turned down the bail application after hearing the prosecution that Ram Kumar should not be granted bail as his custodial interrogation is required in the murder case of Jyoti Rani. Panchkula's Assistant Commissioner of police, Virendar Singh, who appeared in the case before the court today opposed the bail application on the ground that they need to question Ram Kumar in the case for which he had already been served notices asking him to join the investigation but he had not done so and had been evading the police questioning. The deceased's father Buti Ram's counsel Amit Dudeja who also appeared in the court pleaded that the MLA be denied the anticipatory bail as his involvement in the case has emerged during the investigations conducted by the police, so far.
Another Advocate Prem Jagat, who filed an application in the court claiming that Jyoti Rani was a Dalit and hence should get justice also opposed Ram Kamar's bail plea. Advocate Prem Jagat also pleaded that the reasons given by Ram Kumar that he has to comply with the constitutional duty of taking oath as he has recently been elected from Doon in Himachal Pradesh Vidhan Sabha polls, is also not a valid ground.
Advocate, A S Sukhija, who appeared on behalf of Ram Kumar Chaudhary in the case argued before the court that police have failed to establish the direct role of the MLA in the case till date. "The provision for anticipatory bail has come after the amendment in CRPC to protect the innocent. As of now police case is only that there is a doubt of his (MLA's) involvement in the case and is based on probability. The fact that mobile location of Ram Kumar Chaudhary is in the same area where the girl was found murdered doesn't prove his involvement in the case," he argued.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express