AC double decker train on Delhi-Chandigarh route soon
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
To cater to the growing number of passengers between Delhi and Chandigarh, Railways has decided to start an AC double decker train between the two cities.
The 12-coach AC double decker train with fire alarm system is expected to be pressed into service by February next year, a senior Railway Ministry official said.
Besides, Railways is mulling to introduce electrical multiple units (EMU) train sets on Delhi-Chandigarh and Delhi-Amritsar routes to reduce the travel time between these cities, the official said.
Train sets are expected to run at a high speed of 130-150 km per hour, thus reducing the travel time.
The Railways will also invite fresh tender for conducting pre-feasibility study of the 450-km long Delhi-Chandigarh- Amritsar high speed train, he said.
New Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal represents the Chandigarh constituency.
"The decision to adopt train sets technology was announced in the 2012-13 Railway Budget. We are planning to introduce it on Delhi-Chandigarh and Delhi-Amritsar routes and a decision to this effect is likely to be taken soon," he said.
AC double decker with improved passenger-friendly design and capacity of 120 passengers per coach will run at 110 km per hour speed, he said.
"The Rail Coach Factory (RCF) at Kapurthala has been asked to expedite manufacturing of double decker coaches to meet the February target, and Northern Railway is working out the time schedule for introducing the AC double decker train
service between Delhi and Chandigarh," he said.
Indigenously designed, developed and manufactured at RCF Kapurthala, the air-conditioned double decker train was introduced for the first time between Howrah and Dhanbad followed by Delhi-Jaipur and Ahmedabad-Mumbai routes.
There will be two more AC double decker trains for Habibganj-Indore and Chennai-Bangalore routes in the near future, the official said.
Railways has decided to equip all new double decker coaches with automatic smoke detector systems to prevent fire incidents.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU