Accident toll reaches 23, Rs 1 lakh ex gratia announced
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
The death toll in Wednesday's road accident in Patan reached 23 on Thursday after five of the injured succumbed to their injuries in hospitals, police said. The deceased included 12 children and six women.
The state government has, meanwhile, announced Rs 1 lakh as ex-gratia compensation to the kin of the deceased while Chief Minister Narendra Modi extended his condolences to the affected families.
Twelve others who were seriously injured have been admitted to a city hospital, police said.
The accident had taken place near Jhilwada village in Patan district when an open loading van in which they were travelling collided with a state transport bus.
Most of the travellers in the van belonged to minority community of Jhulasan village of Mehsana district and were returning after offering prayers at a Dargah in Radhanpur when the mishap occurred, police said.