Accident toll reaches 23, Rs 1 lakh ex gratia announced
- I expected to do very well but didn't expect to top it: UPSC topper
- Shiv Sena comes to BJP's rescue, says 'move to classify madrasas as non-schools not anti-religious'
- Across the Aisle: ‘Export or perish’. Have we chosen ‘perish’?
- Big Picture - ‘Why did they kill me, ammi?’
- Sunday Story: The Leader and his machine
The death toll in Wednesday's road accident in Patan reached 23 on Thursday after five of the injured succumbed to their injuries in hospitals, police said. The deceased included 12 children and six women.
The state government has, meanwhile, announced Rs 1 lakh as ex-gratia compensation to the kin of the deceased while Chief Minister Narendra Modi extended his condolences to the affected families.
Twelve others who were seriously injured have been admitted to a city hospital, police said.
The accident had taken place near Jhilwada village in Patan district when an open loading van in which they were travelling collided with a state transport bus.
Most of the travellers in the van belonged to minority community of Jhulasan village of Mehsana district and were returning after offering prayers at a Dargah in Radhanpur when the mishap occurred, police said.