Accord driver speeding the wrong way kills 2
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
The Accord then hit a stationary BMW car parked opposite The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf located at the mouth of Cross Road 35. Occupants of the BMW had entered the cafe minutes ago and escaped injury. Barmare then hit biker Mahesh Ajwani (45), who was entering Cross Road 35 after dropping his son off at a nearby school, before coming to a stop. The diamond merchant living in Bandra was thrown off and suffered serious injuries as his head hit the road. He was declared dead upon admission at Bhabha Hospital, police said.
"Barmare was speeding on a one-way and lost control. We have charged him under IPC sections 279 (rash driving) and 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder). Eyewitnesses told us Barmare hit two other people near China Gate restaurant and was trying to escape," said Mangesh Pote, senior inspector, Khar police station.
XUV owner Dilip Purohit, who works at a workshop in Amarsons complex, said he was inside when the accident occurred. "I heard loud crashing noises and rushed out. A few people across the road and I rushed the autorickshaw driver and the biker to Bhabha Hospital but they died before they could be treated," he said.