Accused robbed a man before picking up victim; 4 held so far
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
Delhi Police on Tuesday arrested two more persons for the gangrape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus on Sunday night, taking the number of arrests in the case to four. Two suspects are absconding. Police have sent teams to Bihar, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh to nab them.
The woman's condition continued to be critical on Tuesday, with a sharp drop in her platelet count indicating the setting-in of severe infection. While she showed slight improvement on Tuesday morning, and wrote notes to communicate, she began to slip by the afternoon. Doctors have increased ventilator support.
Police said all the accused knew each other, had consumed alcohol on the bus, and were out on a "joyride" after running out of liquor when they picked up the couple, later raping and torturing the woman and assaulting her friend. They said the accused had also robbed a carpenter after giving him a lift on the bus shortly before they picked up the couple.
The police have registered a case of attempted murder, gangrape, unnatural sex, kidnapping, wrongful confinement and robbery.
One of the accused, Ram Singh, the bus driver, was produced in court today and sent to five days' police custody. The other accused who have been arrested include Ram Singh's brother Mukesh, an assistant gym instructor at the Siri Fort Sports Complex named Vinay Sharma, and a fruitseller, Pawan Gupta. Mukesh was held from Rajasthan, while the other three were arrested from Delhi. The four will be produced in court tomorrow.
Police said they have recovered the victims' phones, which were stolen on the night of the incident and remained switched off throughout. They have also recovered some of the victims' clothes. Officials investigating the case said the accused had destroyed some of the victims' clothes.
All the four who have been arrested, aged between 20-30 years, live in the same slum colony of R K Puram Sector 3 in south Delhi. While Ram Singh was the bus driver, the vehicle was reportedly being driven by Mukesh at the time of the incident.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18