Achala Sachdev, original Zohra Jabeen, is dead
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
A chronic bronchitis asthma patient, Achala had been living alone at her residence near Poona Club for the past 10 years. At her house, she was helped by a night attendant provided by the Janseva Foundation, to which she had donated money to start the Achala Sachdev Institute of Education. The institute trains people from tribal areas in basic hospital and patient-related care.
Recently, she had also transferred her house in the name of the organisation. Rajeev Nanda, an engineer based in Taboo Street and her close family friend, said the funeral will be held on Tuesday.
Born in Peshawar in 1920, Achala made her film debut with Fashionable Wife (1938), and acted in over 130 films. She shifted to Pune after marrying Clifford Douglas Peters, who had a factory in Bhosari.
Achala gained immense popularity for playing the roles of mother and grandmother in Hindi films. The song O meri Zohra Jabeen from Waqt was picturised on Sahni and her and most people referred to her as Zohra Jabeen ever since. Achala was a favourite with Yash Chopra and was seen in his first production venture Daag: The Poem Of Love.
She also played memorable roles in Yash Raj Films' Chandni and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, in which she played Kajol's grandmother. Her other memorable films include Mera Naam Joker, Julie, Haqeeqat and Himalay Ki God Main. She also was a part of English films such asNine Hours to Rama and Merchant Ivory film The Householder. Her last film was the Hrithik Roshan-Esha Deol starrer Na Tum Jaano Na Hum.
- No jobs for students of state’s first dairy, fisheries colleges
- Mayor blames contractors for bad roads, says better material to be used now
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students