Actor, director go in for simple marriage, donate Rs 10 lakh
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
Shedding an extravagant marriage, Malayalam actor Rima Kallingal tied the knot with young film director Aashiq Abu at a registrar office in Kochi on Friday. Only family members and close friends attended the simple function.
However, the marriage grabbed attention after they decided to donate Rs 10 lakh to cancer patients at the government general hospital in Kochi. On the eve of their marriage, Kallingal and Abu went to the hospital and handed over a cheque of Rs 10 lakh to the authorities. "We hope our small gesture would inspire others. We are giving this amount from our income from the film career," said Kallingal.
Abu said, "Although there is a custom of inviting colleagues, family and friends for the marriage, we are avoiding it. On behalf of all of you, we are donating the marriage expenses for the treatment of the cancer patients. This is a small step which may give relief for ordinary patients."