Actor Jiah Khan, 25, kills herself
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
Bollywood actor Jiah Khan committed suicide by hanging herself from a fan in her Juhu apartment late on Monday night, police said.
The 25-year-old Jiah was found hanging by her stole in her bedroom by her mother Rabiya Amin when she returned from dinner.
The British-Indian actor, who had changed her name to Jiah from Nafisa, made her debut in 2007 in Ram Gopal Verma's Nishabd, starring opposite Amitabh Bachchan. She had acted in two other Hindi films, Ghajini and Housefull.
Jiah had signed a three-film deal in south India and the first of those is due to release this month. Police said she had returned from an audition in Hyderabad a few days ago.
Police said that the suicide did not seem planned and suspect that it was dejection in professional and personal life that could have led her to take the drastic step.
They said they had scanned her phone call records, text messages, CCTV images from her building, and recorded statements of her family and friends, including her boyfriend Suraj Pancholi, the son of actor Aditya Pancholi.
"The cause of death is asphyxia due to hanging and it occurred after 10 pm on Monday and before midnight," said Dr T P Lahane, dean of the J J Group of Hospitals. He said there were no injuries on her body and no sign of alcohol or drugs.
Police said Jiah's last phone call ended at 10:53 pm and was made to Suraj. Rabiya has told the police that her daughter was in a relationship with Suraj for the last eight months and he often visited Jiah's family at their Sagar Sangeet apartment. DCP Cherring Dorje said the couple were apparently going through a rough patch and had misunderstandings due to another female friend.
Police said CCTV images from Jiah's building showed Suraj's domestic help entering the building with a flower bouquet for Jiah about half-an-hour after Rabiya left home at around 8.30 pm.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18