Actor Jiah Khan, 25, kills herself
- Rahul Gandhi cancels Saharanpur rally after police arrest Congress candidate Imran Masood for 'chop Modi' remark
- 5 officers killed as IAFâs new showpiece Super Hercules crashes near Gwalior
- More jobs, tax relief, IIT-IIM in each state: Modi manifesto mantra
- SC makes Gavaskar BCCI chief for IPL, no role for Srinivasan
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Imran Masood, who threatened to 'chop Modi to pieces', arrested; Rahul Gandhi cancels Saharanpur rally
Bollywood actor Jiah Khan committed suicide by hanging herself from a fan in her Juhu apartment late on Monday night, police said.
The 25-year-old Jiah was found hanging by her stole in her bedroom by her mother Rabiya Amin when she returned from dinner.
The British-Indian actor, who had changed her name to Jiah from Nafisa, made her debut in 2007 in Ram Gopal Verma's Nishabd, starring opposite Amitabh Bachchan. She had acted in two other Hindi films, Ghajini and Housefull.
Jiah had signed a three-film deal in south India and the first of those is due to release this month. Police said she had returned from an audition in Hyderabad a few days ago.
Police said that the suicide did not seem planned and suspect that it was dejection in professional and personal life that could have led her to take the drastic step.
They said they had scanned her phone call records, text messages, CCTV images from her building, and recorded statements of her family and friends, including her boyfriend Suraj Pancholi, the son of actor Aditya Pancholi.
"The cause of death is asphyxia due to hanging and it occurred after 10 pm on Monday and before midnight," said Dr T P Lahane, dean of the J J Group of Hospitals. He said there were no injuries on her body and no sign of alcohol or drugs.
Police said Jiah's last phone call ended at 10:53 pm and was made to Suraj. Rabiya has told the police that her daughter was in a relationship with Suraj for the last eight months and he often visited Jiah's family at their Sagar Sangeet apartment. DCP Cherring Dorje said the couple were apparently going through a rough patch and had misunderstandings due to another female friend.
Police said CCTV images from Jiah's building showed Suraj's domestic help entering the building with a flower bouquet for Jiah about half-an-hour after Rabiya left home at around 8.30 pm.
- I shake hands with every woman I meet… It leaves a lasting impact: Jannat
- Kadam, Vyavahare, Bagwe in Congress star campaigners’ list
- Modi rally: Traffic snarls likely today
- Cong MLC goes to EC, complains against Ramdev
- Customs officials dispose of drugs worth Rs 64.67 lakh
- State warned of contempt on failing to disburse hail-aid in time