Ad Mad World: Companies move beyond tech, focus on emotion and human connect
With the economy struggling to find firm ground, abstinence from all things capitalistic has been the motto of the year. Brands poised between recession and the green shoots of recovery forced their agencies to deliver think out of the box. While many ads ended up trying too hard, the gems this year have been good enough to share on Facebook walls and Twitter feeds, causing them to go viral. Josy Paul, Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of advertising agency BBDO, says, "The difference in advertising this year has been social media. There are now conversations happening with brands directly and the ads have helped this happen. This will
continue to be important in the next year."
The idea to relaunch Old Spice was to tap into two generations — people who used Old Spice in the '80s and those who were kids at the time and watched their elders use it. Using India's first male supermodel Milind Soman's mature and "Mantastic" looks, this campaign managed instant "virality". When the shirtless Soman hardsells masculinity in a bottle of Old Spice, a lot of viewers, especially of the female persuasion, were impressed. V Sunil, Executive Creative Director of Wyde+Kennedy, says, "I wanted to have Milind Soman even before we had fully formed the idea for the TVC. When you think about it there are no real good-looking 'men', most of them are chocolate boys."
Ogilvy & Mather
All the ad men we spoke to mentioned the Google Reunion campaign as one of the most powerful ones of 2013. In the ad, two old friends, separated by Partition, meet again, powered by Google. The scriptwriter for the ad, Sukesh Kumar Nayak of Ogilvy & Mather, says, "People reach out for Google when they want to find out something they don't know. We wanted to dig deeper, and make the connection between real life and Google magical." This magic has given the ad more than 10 million views on YouTube.
- With Rs 3,500 in hand, Arunachal candidate fights crorepatis
- High growth North yet to match spatial spread of South, West
- BJP slams Cong, AAP for doing little to ensure safety of women in capital
- Congress wants Raje arrested for ‘threat’
- Koda steps gently back from the spotlight, lets wife take over
- AAP expels Ashwini Upadhyay, who levelled charges against Kejriwal
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death