Adhir booked for attack on DMís house
- India kicks-off world's largest democratic excercise as voting begins in Assam, Tripura
- Chandrababu Naidu's TDP back in NDA, joins hands with BJP
- Sri Lanka end 18-year wait
- In first visit after riots, Mulayam defends UP govt, rakes up Gujarat
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP likely to release its poll manifesto today
Police have registered an FIR against Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury for "leading a mob" that "attacked and ransacked" the bungalow of the district magistrate of Murshidabad on Thursday.
"We have registered the case under sections for rioting, vandalism, illegal trespass, ransacking and damaging government property and injuring police personnel on duty. Three police officers were injured by bricks hurled at them by the mob. They are in hospital," Murshidabad SP Humayun Kabir said Friday. "We are investigating and collecting evidence. Senior political leaders are seen entering the bungalow with bamboo sticks and bricks in the video recording of the incident."
Hundreds of Congress workers, led by Chowdhury and some Congress MLAs, ransacked the house of Rajiv Kumar after he reportedly refused to meet them. They had gone to complain about the alleged custodial death of a party worker in January. The mob smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed, hurled bricks and damaged a vehicle. Video of the attack showed Chowdhury instigating the mob to ransack Kumar's house.
Chowdhury, meanwhile, appeared unperturbed and unrepentant. He told mediapersons in Murshidabad that he had not done anything to be ashamed of and claimed he had in fact protected the house from being vandalised.
Manoj Chakraborty, an MLA from Murshidabad who is seen in the video damaging property at the bungalow, said, "This is a motivated FIR. Had there not been Adhir Chowdhury, nobody could have saved the residence of DM. He controlled the mob which turned irate due to the attitude of the DM and police. We went to submit a deputation and our workers did not have any wrong intention. But the DM sent the Additional District Magistrate to receive the deputation. It was an insult to Murshidabad district Congress."
Cong complains against DMs of poll-bound districts
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes