Adhir booked for attack on DMís house
- A person killing people with Quran in his hand is not Muslim, but a terrorist: Aamir Khan at #RNGAwards
- Dubai shuts down part of metro's green line over large fire
- Oceans, cyberworld should not become new theatres of contests: PM Modi
- Financial transactions motive behind Sheena's murder, CBI tells court
- J&K: Army jawan, three terrorists killed in separate encounters
Police have registered an FIR against Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury for "leading a mob" that "attacked and ransacked" the bungalow of the district magistrate of Murshidabad on Thursday.
"We have registered the case under sections for rioting, vandalism, illegal trespass, ransacking and damaging government property and injuring police personnel on duty. Three police officers were injured by bricks hurled at them by the mob. They are in hospital," Murshidabad SP Humayun Kabir said Friday. "We are investigating and collecting evidence. Senior political leaders are seen entering the bungalow with bamboo sticks and bricks in the video recording of the incident."
Hundreds of Congress workers, led by Chowdhury and some Congress MLAs, ransacked the house of Rajiv Kumar after he reportedly refused to meet them. They had gone to complain about the alleged custodial death of a party worker in January. The mob smashed flower pots, pulled down a sun shed, hurled bricks and damaged a vehicle. Video of the attack showed Chowdhury instigating the mob to ransack Kumar's house.
Chowdhury, meanwhile, appeared unperturbed and unrepentant. He told mediapersons in Murshidabad that he had not done anything to be ashamed of and claimed he had in fact protected the house from being vandalised.
Manoj Chakraborty, an MLA from Murshidabad who is seen in the video damaging property at the bungalow, said, "This is a motivated FIR. Had there not been Adhir Chowdhury, nobody could have saved the residence of DM. He controlled the mob which turned irate due to the attitude of the DM and police. We went to submit a deputation and our workers did not have any wrong intention. But the DM sent the Additional District Magistrate to receive the deputation. It was an insult to Murshidabad district Congress."
Cong complains against DMs of poll-bound districts
- Frequent promulgation of ordinances has more to do with managerial ethos
- Indian peacekeeping abroad: Samantha Power shows some deft diplomacy
- The needs of the time shape the character of the myth- Tipu Sultan
- Raja-Mandala: Japan’s counter to China’s silk road
- It started with Perumal
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance