Aerobics most effective way to lose belly fat
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Supreme Court lifts mining ban in Goa, caps iron ore volume
- PMO begins work on Presidentâs Parliament speech for next govt
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
- To prevent polarisation, EC tells Delhi Police âdonât publicise workâ
A new study has found that aerobics is the best bet when it comes to losing that dreaded belly fat.
Belly or abdominal fat -- known in scientific communities as visceral fat and liver fat -- is located deep within the abdominal cavity and fills the spaces between internal organs. It's been associated with increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, and certain kinds of cancer.
"When it comes to increased health risks, where fat is deposited in the body is more important than how much fat you have," said Duke exercise physiologist Cris Slentz, Ph.D., lead author of the study published in the American Journal of Physiology.
"Our study sought to identify the most effective form of exercise to get rid of that unhealthy fat," he added.
When Duke University Medical Center researchers conducted a head-to-head comparison of aerobics, resistance training, and a combination of the two, they found aerobics to be the most efficient and most effective way to lose the belly fat that's most damaging to your health.
"Resistance training is great for improving strength and increasing lean body mass," said Slentz.
"But if you are overweight, which two thirds of the population is, and you want to lose belly fat, aerobics is the better choice because it burns more calories," he added.
Aerobic training burned 67 per cent more calories in the study when compared to resistance training.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready