Aerobics most effective way to lose belly fat
- Netaji files show family was under observation, intercepted communication hinted at sightings
- Indian fisherman allegedly killed in Pakistan firing off Gujarat coast
- Maharashtra government transfers Sheena Bora murder case to Central Bureau of Investigation
- Another drowned toddler washes up on Turkish beach: report
- Taliban attack on Pakistan base kills 29; 16 die in mosque
A new study has found that aerobics is the best bet when it comes to losing that dreaded belly fat.
Belly or abdominal fat -- known in scientific communities as visceral fat and liver fat -- is located deep within the abdominal cavity and fills the spaces between internal organs. It's been associated with increased risk for heart disease, diabetes, and certain kinds of cancer.
"When it comes to increased health risks, where fat is deposited in the body is more important than how much fat you have," said Duke exercise physiologist Cris Slentz, Ph.D., lead author of the study published in the American Journal of Physiology.
"Our study sought to identify the most effective form of exercise to get rid of that unhealthy fat," he added.
When Duke University Medical Center researchers conducted a head-to-head comparison of aerobics, resistance training, and a combination of the two, they found aerobics to be the most efficient and most effective way to lose the belly fat that's most damaging to your health.
"Resistance training is great for improving strength and increasing lean body mass," said Slentz.
"But if you are overweight, which two thirds of the population is, and you want to lose belly fat, aerobics is the better choice because it burns more calories," he added.