After a long wait of 8 years, an FM station for Sonia's seat Rae Bareli
- AAP announces second list of candidates, Rajmohan Gandhi to contest from East Delhi
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy moves Supreme Court for cancellation of arrest warrant
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Rahul Gandhi slams Salman Khurshid over 'impotent' remark against Narendra Modi
Eight years after it was planned in Congress president Sonia Gandhi's constituency Rae Bareli, an FM radio station of the All India Radio (AIR) became a reality on Monday.
The FM station has come up on 1.8 acre on Amawan Road. In spite of some bonhomie shared by Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and the Congress president outside bitter political battle lines, much less than the 5 acre originally sought was granted.
The matter has been hanging fire since 2005 when the then BSP government dragged its feet on allotment of land. The land was handed over to AIR in March.
After initial misgivings about whether it was possible to set up the project on the small piece of land, a decision was taken that AIR needs to move on from its old style of functioning to more streamlined operations.
It was decided that not only would the FM station come up on the smaller land, there will also be a studio to develop local content.
The Congress president was on a daylong visit to her constituency Monday where she launched several projects in her constituency. Besides the FM radio station, she inaugurated branches of the United Bank of India, a water treatment plant in Saraimugla and a new railway line to connect Rae Bareli-Maharajgunj-Akbargunj. She also inaugurated 50 roads under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight