After chicken curry success, Kerala prisoners to make cakes
- China says no to Arunachal youth in India delegation, minister says letâs call off trip
- Lok Sabha polls: Tamizh Talkies
- BJP leader to Narendra Modi critics: You will soon be in Pakistan, not India
- The Third Front: Why transgenders remain a minority in election process
- Elections LIVE 2014: BJP disapproves Giriraj Singh's Pakistan remark
As profit is not the motive of the project, the prisons are not taking bulk orders such as catering to marriages or big parties. The prisons have made it a norm that more than 50 packets of food would not be sold to a single individual.
The prisoners also benefit from the initiative with cooks and helpers earning Rs 117 as their daily wages so that they can send an average of Rs 3500 to their families a month, Jacob said.
Cakes costing below Rs 100 and low-price rubber sandals are the next in line and the food business initiative would be extended to two more prisons soon, the ADGP added.